Thursday, June 13, 2013

Dine in the Vines is back!

We're gearing up for a busy summer out in the vineyard!  Of course we'll be growing grapes out there, but why stop there?  We think it makes a beautiful dining room...


Our Dine in the Vines dinners start up again on June 23, 2013.  You can find more info here.  

To register for the event, click here

Steve Lange from Rochester Magazine and the Post Bulletin did an awesome recap of one of last year's dinners.  Enjoy!


Oddchester: Foodie or not, 10 courses well above par



I am, admittedly, no foodie.

On Tuesday night, for instance, we let Emma, 5, make dinner for the family.

This was more out of apathy than anything else — Lindy and I were both busy working sitting on the couches working on our laptop computers.

Emma dished up five bowls of leftover macaroni and cheese from KFC and warmed them up in the microwave. Mine was last, and made a hideous hissing sound. Emma had left the plastic KFC spork in my bowl, and the hissing was the sound of the tiny tines melting into my dinner.

The presentation of the plating really draws the focus to the dish’s unique and eye-catching orange coloring! And I can really taste the chlorofluorocarbons!

On the night following the mac-n-cheese, Lindy and I get a chance to dine at Four Daughters Vineyard and Winery, in Spring Valley, for something called the Moonlight Dine In The Vines. The event features an impossibly long, candlelit, white-linened table set outside, in the vineyard, under the full moon. It also features “a ten-course meal accompanied by five flights of wine.”

And while I might not be a foodie, at least my wine palate falls firmly in the Bud Light family.

Also, I didn’t realize a meal could even have ten courses. I’d always figured that, after course six or so, they were legally required to call them “gorge fests.”

But, since Lindy and I were going tent camping with the family for the next few days, and since we hadn’t been out to a fancy dinner in months, and since (blatant plug ahead!) Four Daughters is an advertiser in the
magazine, we decided to see what a 10-course, five-flights-of-wine meal was all about.

Course 1: A soup of Summer Squash Ribbons with Corn Cob Broth and Basil Oil.

I don’t believe in soup. It’s the biggest P.R. ripoff in the food industry. If I wanted my food watered down, I’d simply order my meal, and then ask for an extra bowl and a glass of water. Also, I hate squash — and I don’t need to justify that to anyone. Even the name is ridiculous. It’s what ultra-rich New Englanders call racquetball. Or what you do to a bug.

But, since dinner didn’t start until 8 p.m., and I’m polite and starving, I try it. Then eat the whole thing.

Course 2: Pasta Purses stuffed with Chicken Sausage and Artichoke Hearts. Pasta Purses! That sounds like something that ultra-rich New Englanders call ravioli. Also, I don’t like sausage. But I try it. Then eat the whole thing.

Course 3: Seared Scallop with Grilled Watermelon, Cucumber, and Mixed Field Greens.

We love watermelon! And we love grilling! And now we love grilled watermelon.

Course 4: Hard Cider Braised Pork Belly with shaved Brussel Sprouts tossed in braising juices and Blueberry Balsamic Reductions.

This may be single best piece of meat I’ve ever eaten. And I once ate a steak that cost $70.

Course 5: Housemade Duck Sausage with White Bean, Duck Confit and Baby Kale Leaf Stew, Black Mission Fig Salsa, and Roasted Garlic Creme Fraiche.

I don’t like duck. I don’t like sausage. Also, I am not sure what some of those other words even mean. I will say this: It’s the best damn duck sausage I’ve ever eaten.

Course 6: Salt and Pepper Crusted Beef Tenderloin.

This may be the single best piece of meat I’ve ever eaten. And I once ate Hard Cider Braised Pork Belly with shaved Brussel Sprouts tossed in braising juices and Blueberry Balsamic Reductions.

Course 7: A Float of Moscato Wine and Honey Soda with Rosemary Sorbet.

I start singing “Rosemary Sorbet.” To the tune of Prince’s “Raspberry Beret.” In my defense, we’re on our fourth flight of wine.

Course 8: Dijon and Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb.

I’ve never liked eating lamb. Sure, I can tell this is very well-prepared, and the people around me rave about how amazing this lamb is. But all I can picture is that I’m eating Lamb Chop, the ventriloquist puppet of Shari Lewis.

Course 9: Assorted Artisan Cheeses.

One piece of cheese, about the size of a quarter, tastes like peach-flavored cheesecake.

Course 10: Plum Crisp with Cashew Butter Ice Cream, whipped cream and a
Ginger Tuile.

After about bite two, I realize I am letting out audible moans of pleasure.

And, tomorrow night, we’ll be back to the real world — camping with the kids and eating hot dogs roasted over an open fire.

So, it could be, back to back, two of the best meals I’ve ever eaten.

Steve Lange is the editor of Rochester Magazine. His column appears every Tuesday.











No comments:

Post a Comment